Saturday, September 25, 2010

Long time no blog

This post represents an attempt to explain why I haven't posted as frequently as I'd like.
Here is my schedule:
Monday and Wednesday: wake up at 5:45, leave apartment at 6:45 and get on some form of transportation, either one of Nairobi's bizarre buses or a matatu (I'll write a post about matatus soon) by 7:15.  I get into down town Nairobi by 7:45 and catch a City Hoppa (one of Nairobi's bus companies) and get to my internship with Action Now Kenya (I'll post about this as well) at 8:30.  I work there until 4:30 with a break for tea and a break for lunch.  I then retrace my steps back to my apartment and get back around 6:30.
Traffic lengthens the commute.  I'm trying to take pictures that will show the chaos of Nairobi traffic but without a helicopter I'm not sure I can really give you a good idea of what it's like.
On Tuesday and Thursday I wake up at 6:30 and leave the apartment by 7:25 so that I can walk to the AU Abroad program office and arrive in time for my 8:00 Kiswahili class.  After class I catch a matatu to down town Nairobi and catch the shuttle service to USIU (the university I'm attending here).  My first class, African Authors Seminar, runs from 11 to 12:40.  My next class, International Economics and Trade, runs from 1:20 to 3.  I then catch the shuttle back to down town Nairobi and take a matatu to Westlands, my neighborhood, arriving back around 5:30.
Again on Friday I have Kiswahili at 8 and afterwards I have Politics and Culture in Kenya, which is really a class on the process of urbanization in Nairobi, it runs from 9:30 to 12:30.
To put it succinctly I've been quite busy.  I usually fall asleep against my will some time around 10 while trying to catch up on some reading, to the endless amusement of my wonderful roommates.
More blog to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment